The basic concepts of highway and building engineering have been getting significantly changed and updated. Developments in road and building technology and operations are now available to designers, builders and operators and building owners who want to maximize both economic and environmental performances. The book is based on empirical practices and experience of individual engineers, with an approach of emphasizing on the theoretical aspects. In India several organizations namely, Central Road Research Institute (CRRI), Ministry of Road Transport and Highway (MORTH), Indian Road Congress (IRC), Central Building Research Institute (CBRI), Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS), Public Works Department (PWD) along with some educational institutions are contributing knowledge and newer concepts to the field of highway and building engineering. The purpose of this book is to gather and present practical solutions to the problems which are arrived by Dr Nandanandan Das, through his thirty-five years & more long vast service experience and these were formulated by the contributors for the students to inculcate during their study of engineering to overcome such problems if faced during execution. The authors' objective is to prepare this book to introduce the subject of fine-tuning of engineering challenges of road and building projects to the students in a systematic manner. Besides being useful to the Civil Engineering students in general, the book will also be uselful to PG students studying highway engineering as subject, field engineers, consultants, and researchers.
1. Pre-Construction Development and Planning
2. Construction and Supervision
3. Engineering Challenges on Controlling Road Accident: Case Studies
4. Construction of Road in Water Logged Highway Stretch: A Case Study
5. Road Without Drain A Great Disaster: A Case Study
6. Engineering Challenges in Completing Projects technically and tactfully in time: Case Studies
7. Maintenance of Road
8. Principles on Construction of Road
9. Engineering Challenges for Solving Critical Problems on Road Project: A Case Study
10. Problems and Sucessful solutions on Road Project: A Case Study
11. Engineering Challenges Solving Critical Problems of Flood: A Case Study
Part Two: Building Systems in India
12. Defects of Buildings
13. Construction of Cyclone Resistance Buildings
14. Engineering Challenges in Design and Execution of Building in Expansive Soil: A Case Study
15. Construction of Leak Proof Roof With Green Concrete: A Case Study
16. Technically Construction of Building Avoiding Disadvantage of Vastu Shastra: A Case Study
17. Preventive Measures For Long Lasting Houses: A Case Study
18. Development Through Mass Engineers and Individual Too: Two Case Studies
• Introduces the subject of fine-tuning of engineering challenges of road and building projects to the students in a systematic manner.
• Provides practical, easy-to-implement solutions to problems faced by civil engineers during their day-to-day work.
• Case studies have been appropriately given, to illustrate specific theory and applied aspects.
• Profusely illustrated with sketches of plans and schemes and pictures