This manual is one of a kind in that it deals with highway material testing procedures with an emphasis on interpretation of results and relates it to practical applications. This manual, besides serving as a basic textbook on highway material testing methods for students at the degree (B.E./B.Tech) and diploma levels (Civil Engineering), would be of immense practical value for field engineers and testing laboratories.
The salient features of this manual include detailed testing procedures following the latest codes and guidelines. Material testing is presented in the manual in an easy-to-follow manner. It is broadly divided into seven modules dealing with soils, aggregates, bitumen, granular and bituminous mix design, quality control, and pavement evaluation.
Other essential features of this manual include: typical results obtained from laboratory and field tests during professional interaction with professionals at work. It also includes ready to use observation sheets for instant interpretation of test results and justification. Review questions are given at the end of each testing procedure for better comprehension and revision.
Power point presentation for all the tests and answers to review questions is also provided.
The book contains 41 experiments spread in seven sections, namely,
1. Tests on soil sub-grade and aggregates
2. Tests on bituminous materials
3. Soil classification and design
4. Design of granular mixes
5. Design of bituminous mixes
6. Quality control and quality assurance
7. Tests for pavement evaluation.
• Includes detailed testing procedures following the latest codes and guidelines.
• Material testing is presented in an easy to follow manner.
• Includes ready to use observation sheets for instant interpretation of test results and justification.
• Provides review questions at the end of each testing procedure.